Volunteering with Circles South East
Circles (South East) has been recruiting, training and supervising volunteers to contribute to work carried out in the field of sexual abuse since 2002. In that time we have worked with over a thousand volunteers. Some people think you need specialist knowledge or experience to undertake this work safely and effectively. While we welcome relevant experience it is not necessary. Actually what we are seeking is people from all walks of life who are reliable, empathic, boundaried and able to commit to the work for two to three hours a week. Please refer to the Volunteer Role Specification document for more information.
Our dedicated staff team provide all the training, support and expertise necessary so that volunteers enjoy a challenging but ultimately rewarding experience. Training is free and all expenses incurred through volunteering with us are paid.
The following volunteering opportunities are on offer:
- Circles of Support and Accountability – available in Berkshire, Buckinghamshire, Oxfordshire, Hampshire, Surrey, Sussex, Kent, London and the Isle of Wight
- Mentoring – available in Berkshire, Buckinghamshire, Oxfordshire, Hampshire, Surrey and Sussex
- Counselling (please note qualification required) – available in Berkshire, Buckinghamshire, Oxfordshire, Hampshire, Surrey and Sussex, London, and Isle of Wight.
- Forums for survivors – pilot programme. Berkshire, Buckinghamshire, Oxfordshire.
Meliora is a free support and mentoring service for Survivors of sexual harm delivered across the UK and we are looking for volunteers who are empathic and non-judgemental and want to help others to feel less lonely and isolated. We welcome all applications, especially from volunteers who have previous experience of sexual harm themselves or through loved ones, although this is not essential. As a Meliora Volunteer you will be expected to meet with the Service User on a regular basis over a 12 month period. The meet-ups are mainly delivered online. You will be provided with an initial training , regular supervision and advice. However the main ‘ingredient’ of the support is You just being there. If it sounds like something you would like to get involved with, please get in touch as we would love to hear from you…
Email us at:
What does volunteering entail?
Every Circles Volunteering role is different, and we are happy to talk to you about the various roles available. Our most popular volunteering role is that of a Circle Volunteer. In this role you can expect the following:
- 16 hours FREE initial training, on topics such as working with those who have committed harmful sexual behaviour, motivational interviewing techniques, understanding offending behaviour, safeguarding and much much more.
- DBS Check for all volunteers
- Post Training Interview
- Introduction into a Circle of Support, working in a group with other volunteers to support 1 service user for a period of up to 18 months.
- Ongoing supervision.
- Supplementary training opportunities.
- Weekly group meetings lasting 1 hour, built around your availability to volunteer.
What can I expect to gain from this experience?
- A hugely rewarding experience.
- Developing new relationships with other volunteers.
- Invaluable experience for those looking for a career in criminal justice.
- An interesting addition to any CV!
- The knowledge that you have done your bit to prevent the creation of further victims.
We know many of our volunteers love the work they do, but don’t just take our word for it, here are a few volunteer quotes about their experiences:
- Very high safety measures taken by circles so I was more than happy to continue supporting (the service user)
- I was able to pursue my passion. Also, it was a win-win situation, as it helped me with my mental health as well.
- Our Co-ordinator has supported us throughout and is always on-hand for sound advice or guidance.
- I still refer to my excellent training all the time. I just started job in an adult male inpatient forensic unit, training as a Clinical Psychologist. I wanted to reach out and thank Circles for inspiring a continued interest in forensic work, and providing such great training support. I’m sure many more volunteers will continue to benefit from working with your core members and the excellent programme.
- It been a pleasure doing circles for the last couple of years and has taught me so much that will directly contribute to my career going forward. Without circles I believe I would have lacked confidence and knowledge in a lot of areas. Not to mention my new employer quoted circles as one of the main reasons I got the job in the first place!
- I have received amazing support from the charity and those I work closely with, they are always there to answer any questions and offer
- I have been with the charity for 3 years and I was always supported throughout even when my circles did not happen for various reasons I was always contacted with new opportunities.
- Just very happy with Circles, nice people.
- I have been guided and supported by my Coordinator which has ensured I have been able to carry out my role effectively. Plus, I have
been offered further training which shows that Circles is willing to invest time and effort into developing their volunteers’ knowledge,
understanding and capacity to provide the best support they can (to Service Users).
Our service users also highly rate the support our volunteers provide:
- This group has helped me out a lot with my self esteem and confidence.
- It’s been a great form of support in these uncertain times.
- My team from the supervisor down has ensured that I have not been isolated and have regular contact to support me through these
- Because when I talk to them I never feel alone any more.
- I feel well supported I have had regular weekly communication from all members of my support team and times when I have needed to
talk to them to help support me they have been there for me will a listening ear and sound advice.
and help us make a difference in your community.
To apply to Volunteer or for more information about the services above please contact us: